POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have I missed something? : Re: Have I missed something? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Have I missed something?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Oct 2008 18:03:32
Message: <48f122b4$1@news.povray.org>
>> - We write "custom business applications" (so we want VB / VBA or
>> maybe Java).
>
> Most of that that I see is C#/VB.Net/Java

how to use VBA to make Excel "analyse complex sales bonus structures".
Whatever the hell that means...

I guess some of the guys who want "VB" actually mean VB.NET...

>> - We write web applications, so we want JavaScript / Perl / PHP.
>
> Or ASP.Net

Yeah, quite possibly.

>> "Everything past XP" meaning "only the latest bleeding edge OS that
>> nobody is using yet"?
>
> I think it was included in one of the XP service packs. XP RTM didn't,
> but I'm sure SP1 or SP2 included .net framework

I'm fairly sure SP1 predates the existence of .NET; but it might have
been in SP2. (There's an SP3 now isn't there?)

> Oh, and from your second statement, I didn't realise my name had been
> changed. Hi, I'm nobody.

*sigh* Already, _almost_ nobody. Happy now? :-P

>> I don't recall that conversation, but anyway... my PC has never had it
>> until now. (It has it *now* because I just installed MS Visual Studio,
>> and the first thing it does is install this unwanted component.)
>
> I'm pretty sure it did. VS has to install the sdk, but I'm willing to
> bet you had the runtime long before that.

Then why did Windows Update keep offering to install it?

>> Isn't Delphi also long since dead? I haven't even heard its name
>> mentioned in years...
>
> One of my best friends has a job coding in it, so no. It's not as
> popular as it used to be though.

Sort of like the way there's still a small market for COBOL?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/